Monday, December 11, 2017

Plan B, Plan C

I bought this fabric months ago on a sale. Yesterday I thought I'd use it to whip up a blouse. The project didn't go according to plan. Firstly, the fabric had been so badly cut in the shop that I couldn't get all the pieces out. What to do, what to do?  After some contemplation, I decided to leave off the bands under the bust and use wide ribbon to create a casing for elastic. Right. I cut out the pieces minus the bands.

Next job was to apply iron-on stiffening to the neck facings. I bought 2 metres of the stuff recently, so I hauled it out and tried to figure out which was the sticky side. After a couple of trial runs, I had a very gungy iron and realised that both sides are sticky! It's not interfacing, it's fusible web for joining two pieces of fabric. Luckily I have a cleaning product designed for taking labels off jars that did a fantastic job in cleaning the iron. So I found some scrap fabric and fused it to the facings using the fusible web.

By the time I'd made plan B and plan C, the day was gone. I finished this morning according to plan, without mishap, hooray! 

6 comments:

  1. I wonder what plan D would've been?!?!?! Looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sewing is normally relaxing...unless glitches happen. Lovely fabric you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the result of your multi-plan, errr multi-prong (?) strategy! Effective way out of your sticky situation :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Couldn't help myself; just read this ---
    Be mediocre - avoid needing a Plan 'B'
    ;-P

    ReplyDelete