Monday, February 27, 2017
Friday, February 24, 2017
blanket. Each ball is enough for two rows. I want to use each colour in each half so they're well distributed, which is why I put the blanket on hold, rather than just use the colours I'd already dyed . It's raining again now, so I'm glad of yesterday's gap to do washing as well as dye wool.
Thursday, February 23, 2017
round 2 , I thought, and then write my blog. Mmm. Not so fast, Jane. It was clear before I finished round 2 that it wasn't going to lie flat. I think my tension on the inside chains is too loose and the long picot in the centre too big perhaps. Nothing for it but to start over. The second version lies perfectly flat, without blocking. I must remember to pay attention to tension as I go further.
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Tuesday, February 21, 2017
At the beginning of the year we were drought stricken, desperate for rain. Well, we've had rain. I took these pictures this morning from inside the house:
I've been working on the sock:
I've been working on the sock:
Monday, February 20, 2017
Friday, February 17, 2017
Spring napkin for 2017; I have plenty of size 40 thread; I need a new tatting project... There seem to be more reasons to tat it than not! I'm going to make it and figure out later what to do with it.
Thursday, February 16, 2017
this pattern. I have to say, I think life is too short to make a blanket in single crochet. I'm using two rows of double crochet where the pattern uses four rows of single crochet. I don't think it affects the look of the pattern significantly, so I'm happy. (That's American crochet terms of course. UK terms would be double crochet and treble, but they don't scan as well!)
Wednesday, February 15, 2017
here. I thought I'd outline one of them with chains, but that was a mistake because it obscures the heart shape. I do like the idea of a bead at the bottom to emphasise the point. Of course my block tatting could use some work, but I like the concept.
Tuesday, February 14, 2017
Sunday, February 12, 2017
described before, I wound half-size skeins and did some double and treble dye-lots. The three shades of orange were dyed together, as were the three shades of purple.
Friday, February 10, 2017
flowers in a row pattern. I spun and plied one 'batch' (about 200 g) for green to start with. I considered dyeing skeins in different shades of green, as I've done before , but decided to dye the whole batch as a variegated dyelot. Inspired by the green landscape, perhaps! The batch was too big for my microwave, so I heated it in the oven to set the dye. Here's how it looked before it went into the oven:
Wednesday, February 8, 2017
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
cushion back wouldn't be up to the job of keeping the back closed and that the back was too puffy. I didn't redo the back altogether. I unraveled eight rows to the last increase row and then redid them without the increase. And I've replaced the crochet buttons with wooden buttons. If the judges don't like it, it won't be for lack of effort on my part!
Monday, February 6, 2017
here, but Lucy didn't join the triangles, she used them for bunting. My inspiration for joining the triangles together is here. I saw it on Pinterest and then worked back to find the pattern. My blanket is made from handspun wool. Cream is the natural colour, the colours were dyed in my microwave using acid dyes.
Sunday, February 5, 2017
Saturday, February 4, 2017
here. I tried out several of them. I'm using the flat slip stitch method but instead of joining through the bottom loops as in the tutorial, I've joined from the front of the work through the top loops, which gives a less bulky seam. I want the triangles to be well defined.
Friday, February 3, 2017
Wednesday, February 1, 2017
the pattern. I drew a triangle with 20 cm sides on a piece of fabric and pinned it to a dishcloth, to act as a guide: