Friday, September 16, 2016

Knitting in Strange Places

On Tuesday we drove three hours west of here to the Witsand Kalahari Nature Reserve. It's an interesting place, with big dunes of fine white sand, hundreds of miles from the sea. I left my tatting at home, but took my knitting along. Some of our activities were not compatible with knitting, like climbing dunes:

Or going for veld walks, where we saw these 'condominium' nests of the Communal Weaver:
But on Wednesday afternoon I took my knitting along when we spent a couple of hours in a hide, a long room built below groundlevel so that you look out at the level of a waterhole. Here's the view I could see through the 'window':
When we arrived, there was a scrub hare at the waterhole. Can you see him?
Later, some springbok came down to drink:
There were quite a few  birds, including a Namaqua Sand Grouse. He looked so nervous that I didn't dare put down my knitting to pick up my phone camera, for fear of scaring him away. In any case, he was even more camouflaged than the scrub hare, so I probably wouldn't have captured him very successfully.

I'm nearly ready to start the raglan decreases on the pullover, so I'm happy with my progress:


13 comments:

  1. What lovely pictures and I can see the little hopper so cute and big too. Your sweater is looking very good you really can memorize a long set of numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photographs are wonderful! - such faded, sandy colours, and I can see the hare! It must have been a very special experience, and I am amazed that you managed to knit WHITE wool in that environment. You're knitting at your usual speed, it won't be too much longer before we can see this jumper being modelled on the recipient.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if there's a bit of kalahari sand included, I'll wash it out at the end!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful scenery! I'd never heard of a scrub and had to look it up. Isn't it amazing that there is so much beauty in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I looked up the communal weaver since I'd never heard of that before. Interesting birds. Did you leave some yarn bits for them?
    Jack's sweater is looking gorgeous!
    I didn't find the hare but wow what a beautiful photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I'd be breaking some nature reserve rule if I left yarn for them!

      Delete
  5. Splendid photos--very interesting! Gorgeous knitting!
    Katie V in NC

    ReplyDelete
  6. The views are beautiful, the nests in the tree look very large and unusual, are the weavers animals or insects? Your knitting is coming along nicely but I am surprised that you have time when you have such lovely sites to see!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're birds, rather nondescript looking little brown birds, a lot of them in the communal nest.

      Delete
  7. Great pictures! Wow on those weaver nests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing place and photos you have shared. Did you hear the sand grains humming? Your sweater knitting is beautiful. Sweet September...

    ReplyDelete