Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Trophy Regained

I went yesterday to the area conference of the organisation I belong to - Vroue-Landbouvereniging van Kaapland, abbreviated to VLV-K. For the second year, tatting was the craft for the floating section. Last year I was the only entrant at the area level, but this year I was joined by Linda, who has been coming to me for lessons. Click here to see my doily and here to see Linda's.  No surprise really that I came first and she came second, but I was really glad to have a fellow competitor! Both doilies will go forward to the National competition later in the year.

For those who followed my dilemma about whether to enter the traditional doily or the modern Under An African Sky one,  I talked to the judge yesterday and we agreed that I would send both of them forward to the national competition. So that even if the judges there don't approve, it will be seen.

I like the details on the tray, but I must say it mixes its metaphors. There's a Greek key pattern around an Eastern looking symbol; elephants on one side and deer on the other, which are never seen in the same place in nature.... I'm not sure if they're supposed to have significance or the maker just put in whatever he fancied.

Oh, and my Frost flowers top came second in the knitting section. No trophy, but it will go forward to the national competition.

14 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the doily, & knit top - it was really nice & different :-)
    I think it is nice to see your own protégé become skilled enough to compete with the teacher .
    Good luck at the National level, Jane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never entered a competition for my work. Maybe I'll try some day, but I'm not even sure where to start. I guess I should start looking. Good luck with your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! and nice to have a competitor this year :) So this plate is your trophy? If it is, maybe it statment is diversity with the arts :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to you both. The tray is indeed unsual, is made out of brass? - if so a lot of cleaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It looks like brass. I confess I didn't clean it when I had it last year, but all the trophies looked very shiny yesterday, so I think they had been polished ready to be handed out again.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! - a shame the Frost Flowers didn't win, but you enjoyed knitting it and it was lovely. I think the tray is interesting, it's certainly a unique trophy. Tat a doily to lie in the centre and use it as a drinks tray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Many congratulations - you SOOOO deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to both of you. I've never entered a competition and have no idea how to go about finding one, but your pieces are lovely, and I'm glad you won in the tatting (and came in 2nd in the knitting). The Frost Flowers top is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations to both of you! It is Always a great feeling to win !
    Lovely doily! Hope under the African sky wins!
    I agree that the trophy shows the multiculturality of SA.
    How are the ducks?Are the bets on the species open?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The duckies are fine. Their colours are beginning to change, their beaks are changing from black to pink, so I think perhaps we will soon be able to find out what they are.

      Delete
  9. The doilies are lovely, congratulations to you both, you must be over the moon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations! I held my breath when I saw the trophy and admit I hoped to see Under an African Sky. Of course, the white doily is gorgeous, and I'm so glad you won for it. (As I recall, you tatted it rather quickly!)

    I am quite relieved, however, that you're also sending African Sky on to the Nationals. It must be seen! I hope they know you designed it and how many modern techniques are involved. I also hope this can be explained to those who view it! It definitely will be noticed!

    Last Fall I worked very hard at learning the 'loop' method (described by Jane Eborall and others) on how to tat a ring on a ring. As you know, I am comfortable tatting interlocking rings with 'standard' rings and hoped it was possible to do the thrown-off rings on those. It was a hard-won victory (many attempts) but I was delighted when I finally achieved success. I like the fact that I can tat the 'trees' ahead of time. Those will certainly give me a lot of practice! Now I have to learn to do block tatting for the animals!

    Your free pattern is a most generous gift to all of us, and is very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done, fantastic if there's another way of throwing rings off interlocking rings!

      Delete