Monday, August 11, 2014

Twice!

 Helen has made the Under an African Sky doily not once but twice! The bigger one is done in Lizbeth size 10 and measures 12 inches across, the second in Lizbeth size 20 and measures 9 inches across. Magnificent, aren't they? I especially like the way it looks as though there is fruit on the trees on the bottom one. Helen says she took some short cuts with the interlocking rows - "

i start my row 1 with ring then split ring before doing scmr, and i put marker on my first ring. and on round 7 i attach the rosette alternately to be able to finish earlier because i only have to do one join. that is why i spent only 10 days with my second doily.


10 days, wow. Here's a photo Helen sent to show her row 1:
Thanks Helen. Anything that speeds things up is always welcome! Thanks for using my pattern, I think you've done a really good job.

10 comments:

  1. Two gorgeous mats, well done Helen.
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. I am thinking or ordering thread to attempt this pattern. I have admired it so much since you first posted it. BUT, those overlapping rings... I seem to recall much pulling of hair the last time I attempted them. Maybe Helen's trick will hold the solution. ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope so! I struggled with interlocking rings, but SCMRs clicked for me, so I say whatever works for you, go for it.

      Delete
  3. Stunning doilies (and design!) I like the bottom one with the dark animals and the fruit in the trees especially.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I to love this pattern you have done and will attempt it one of these days, I favor the brown animals. I also believe you are the first to place animals in a doily and I will say again, "I have heard in the world of lace doilies with figures and animals are highly valued :)"

    ReplyDelete
  5. My goodness two! They are wonderful and you are so clever designing the doily. But interlocking rows look too challenging for me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the one I am going to try after the Baby Shawl is finished - I have thread for it. I must come back when I am ready to revisit the hints on those interlocking rings. This is the first time I've seen the doily in different colours, and it's stunning in every combination, isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful doilies!! :) What an inspiration you are!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I always know when I've been out of the loop for a while that I'll come back to marvelous things, but this doily pattern of yours (and the variations I've seen today) are absolutely jaw-dropping! Thank you, Jane for designing it and sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete