Friday, June 29, 2012

Potential Tatters?



On Wednesday I went to a meeting of the local equivalent of Women's Institute. I took some tatting along. The response was very enthusiastic! I even sold some bookmarks and motifs. The organiser asked if I would be prepared to show everyone how to tat. Of course! A pleasure. She was a bit worried that I would have to demonstrate tatting, as opposed to teaching tatting, because there wouldn't be enough shuttles to go round. I explained that a shuttle is just a means of holding thread and  not absolutely essential to tatting - I don't know where I read that on the internet, but it produced one of those aha moments! I reckon I could make some cardboard shuttles and get everyone to have a go. Their calendar is planned months in advance, so it won't happen for a while, but I look forward to it. One lady is very keen. She has tried before, but didn't grasp it. She asked me if it is possible to tat with thick thread until you get the hang of it. Yes, indeed. I think using two colours of thread also helps a learner grasp the structure of the stitch. 

12 comments:

  1. The funny thing about teaching new people to tat is that they think you HAVE to have a shuttle and feel cheated if you don't teach them with one!!! I've got some of those thread winder things (sort of double T shaped) which I cut into shuttle shapes and use the hole in them to tie the thread onto. I guess you could use plastic milk containers too to make 'pretend' ones!!! Good luck with teaching them - as they're so keen I'm sure they'll 'cotton on' very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Jane. I figured that the ones that were really keen would find a shuttle, while those who aren't particularly interested would at least learn the principles. We shall see!

      Delete
    2. In my case, I need to supply the shuttles when I teach because it is not that easy to find shuttles here.
      Hopefully, having their own (real(?)) shuttles from the start would make it easy for them to continue tatting, rather than getting frustrated at not being able to find them later and giving up tatting altogether.

      Delete
    3. It would be ideal if everyone had a shuttle. I'll have to see how many I can round up. But I rather like the idea of a shuttle not being absolutely essential. Like using a safety pin for grip when I tat Jane Eborall's very small butterfly.

      Delete
  2. Now I am one of those people who thought you needed a shuttle to teach someone to tat - interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's cool! I hope you have a good time and great learners! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teaching the chain in two colors is finally gaining acceptance as the best way to more easily see how the flip occurs, and indeed you don't need an official 'shuttle' to do that. And a thicker thread is easier to use at first.

    Also crocheters have a much easier time by using what is called the 'crochet hold, where they pinch with the middle finger and thumb and hold the forefinger up. Once I discovered I could tat by holding my thread (for the chain) exactly as I crochet, there was no question it was easier for me. Once the knot is mastered, the ring can be more easily understood; and I use the crochet hold for rings also.

    Good luck with your classes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm self-taught, apart from someone showing me the flip, which may be why I use that hold too, and will probably teach it so. Interesting point, thanks.

      Delete
    2. Before I start teaching, I usually ask them if they crochet. If they say yes, then I ask them to hold the thread as in crochet and continue from there. If they still find it difficult still, then only I suggest the other method (of pinching with the thumb and index finger). Some do change their hold.

      Good luck with the teaching.

      Delete
    3. thanks Jon, I hadn't really twigged the connection between crochet and the way a tatter holds the thread. So if a person has never crocheted, they might be better at holding the thread the 'proper' tatting way. Aha!

      Delete
  5. As ever I'm 'arse about face' over the chicken and egg!!! I didn't learn to crochet (and then was self taught) until twenty years after I'd learnt to tat!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-) the question is, do you hold your crochet thread in tatting fashion??

      Delete